Any time residents of Cornwall-On-Hudson start thinking about making improvements to their landscaping or hardscaping, the question “how much is this going to cost?” isn’t far behind. Sure, homeowners in this area love the idea of establishing a landscape design theme or improving upon hardscaping projects that were installed many years ago, but it can sometimes be difficult to know if you’re really making the right decision for the long-term value of the property.
Here at Benninger Landscaping, we’re dedicated to providing people with landscaping and hardscaping services that they’ll love for a lifetime. Rather than trying to decide if hardscaping improvements are worth the cost, we encourage you to think about them in terms of return on investment (ROI).
If you’re strategic about the hardscaping project you choose–such as retaining walls, patios, or poolscapes–it can provide you with a nice boost in home value down the road. Not to mention the increased enjoyment you’ll get from your outdoor areas while you’re still living in the house!
Keep reading to learn more about what hardscaping is and which hardscaping projects are likely to have the most positive ROI for your property.
What Is Hardscaping?
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s back up to clarify exactly what we mean by hardscaping and how it differs from other improvements you can make to the look and function of your home.
- Landscaping: This typically refers to maintenance and improvement of outdoor features that consist of living elements like plants, trees, flowers, edible vegetation, moss, etc.
- Hardscaping: This typically refers to maintenance and improvement of outdoor features that consist of inanimate elements like brick, stone, gravel, patios, fire pits, paths, retaining walls, etc.
- Renovation, Restoration, and Remodeling: In contrast to the terms above, which deal with improvements made to the exterior of the home, these terms are typically used to refer to improvements made inside the home.
How Can Hardscaping Affect Your Home Value?
A study by RealEstate.com suggests that landscaping and hardscaping can deliver a whopping return on investment as high as 150 percent – an ROI that puts it ahead of popular home improvement projects like kitchen or bathroom updates.
“[F]or every dollar spent on upgrading a backyard or outdoor space, a homeowner can expect to get back anywhere from 60 cents to two dollars. With up to 14 percent added to the home’s resale value; on a $500,000 home, that’s nearly $75,000!” the report explains.
So if you’re trying to decide how to best utilize your tax return for a home improvement project, consider some of these valuable hardscaping projects from Benninger Landscaping:
- Outdoor Fireplace – This is one of the most desired and attention-grabbing hardscaping features you can install on your property. Home shoppers today are very interested in extending their living spaces with outdoor areas that can be used all year long. Built-in fire pits and fireplaces are known to have an average of 150% ROI.
- Outdoor Kitchen – Anyone can put a grill on their back porch, but a permanent outdoor kitchen that makes entertaining a breeze? It’s a hardscaping feature that makes home shoppers giddy. Adding an outdoor kitchen adds an average ROI of 100-200%
- Stone Veneer Sitting Wall – Want to reduce erosion while also providing a beautiful feature that will make your yard seem more inviting? Install a stone veneer sitting wall. Benninger Landscaping is proud to be the retaining wall and outdoor staircase experts in Cornwall-On-Hudson. Done correctly, walls and terracing look beautiful and boost curb appeal.
- Patio Pavers – Use of these hardscaping materials to build patios, walkways, poolscapes, and more is a great investment into the beauty and function of your property. Patios and walkways allow you to create outdoor living areas without increasing foot traffic on your landscaping. “Walkways are another keep-up-with-the-Joneses upgrade. If you get too fancy, you won’t see a return on your investment; if you don’t meet the standards of the neighborhood, appraisers will punish you,” explains House Logic. Benninger Landscaping can help you find the sweet spot!
No matter what your reason for wanting to improve your hardscaping, we hope you’ll call Benninger Landscaping. With over 20 years of experience in this region, we can help you to make choices that are beautiful, functional, and complementary the natural environment all around us. Call now!